Press release by the International Chess Federation
The 2022 FIDE Presidential election will be held on August 7, 2022, at the FIDE General Assembly in Chennai, India. Each Member Federation represented in the General Assembly and in the assemblies of FIDE Continents has one vote.
According to the 2022 FIDE Elections Timeline, by 6 pm CET on June 7, Presidential candidacies had to reach the FIDE Office. Following the deadline, the FIDE Electoral Commission consisting of Roberto Rivello (chairman), Francois Strydom and Lakhdar Mazouz held an online meeting.
In accordance with art. 21.8 of the Electoral Rules, FIDE Offices announce that the Electoral Commission, after a preliminary exam, approved the following list of valid Presidential ticket candidacies:
- Mr. Andrii Baryshpolets and Mr. Peter-Heine Nielsen;
- Mr. Inalbek Cheripov and Mr. Lewis Ncube;
- Mr. Arkady Dvorkovich and Mr. Anand Viswanathan;
- Mr. Bachar Kouatly and Mr. Ian Wilkinson.
The full version of the Electoral Commission report that includes its second part: Electoral Commission Report.
In accordance with art. 21 of the Electoral Rules (Elections of the President and of the Deputy President):
- Candidacies for the Presidential ticket (President and Deputy President) must reach FIDE Offices at the latest two months before the opening of the meeting of the General Assembly;
- The candidates President and Deputy President of the same ticket must not be representative from the same Member Federation;
- Each ticket must be endorsed by nominations from at least five Member Federations, among them at least one from each of the four FIDE Continents, but by no more than eight Member Federations in total. Each Member Federation is entitled to endorse only one Presidential ticket;
- The ELC is competent to carry out a preliminary exam of the submitted candidacies and to approve a list of valid candidacies, that shall be announced on the FIDE website and made visible and accessible to all Member Federations.
The ELC is also requested to verify if the eligibility criteria listed in art. 4.1 of the
Please note that all the official documentation on the elections is being published on a dedicated FIDE Congress page: https://congress.fide.com/. You can also find the summary and updates on the dedicated page on the FIDE website: https://fide.com/elections